Albuquerque International Sunport Holiday Travel Advisory
In anticipation of the nation’s most heavily traveled holiday weekend, the Albuquerque International Sunport has developed some tips to help travelers prepare for a safe and enjoyable holiday travel experience.
Airlines for America (A4A) is forecasting that over 25 million passengers will travel globally on U.S. airlines during the 2015 Thanksgiving holiday season (November 20 through December 1). The busiest travel days are expected to be Sunday, November 29, Monday, November 30 and Wednesday, November 25.
“Proper planning can be the most important element to successful and relaxing holiday travel,” Aviation Director Jim Hinde said. “Travelers should allow adequate time to get to the airport, park, check your luggage and complete the screening process. Once in the terminal, customers can enjoy a variety of dining and shopping options, along with free wifi.”
Sunport and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials offer the following tips to travelers for the upcoming holiday travel period:
- Arrive at the airport at least 90 to 120 minutes prior to your flight departure to allow ample time for parking and to complete the check-in and security screening process.
- Changes in acceptable identification resulting from the Real ID Act will not impact holiday travel for 2015. A valid New Mexico driver’s license is valid to board an aircraft through at least early 2016. A list of acceptable ID’s can be found at www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.
- The terminal parking garage is accessible from the Arrival (lower) Level. The economy lot generally fills up quickly and short term may reach its capacity. The Sunport also offers a long-term credit card only lot that is accessible via Girard Blvd. Rates in the credit card lot are identical to the rates in the economy lot.
- Only one carry-on bag and one personal item (such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, diaper bag) are permitted through screening. All other bags or personal items must be checked-in as regular baggage.
- Travelers may carry through the security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, Quart-Size, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Remember the 3 -1 -1 rule which means you can bring containers that are 3oz in size or less, in one clear plastic quart-size zip top bag, and one bag per passenger.
- The TSA now offers Pre-check at the Sunport, an opt-in, fee-based program, that offers expedited screening. For details, visit www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
- A designated family line is also available to families, travelers with special needs or individuals who are unfamiliar with the screening process and require additional assistance.
- Do not wrap gifts, as they are subject to search.
- Only ticketed passengers will be allowed beyond the security checkpoint.
- Curbside parking is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. No unattended vehicles are permitted.
- Visitors can help avoid roadway congestion by utilizing the Sunport’s free cell phone waiting lot, accessible by taking the arrival level to Girard Boulevard, when picking up passengers instead of circling the roadway.
- Please check with your airline directly for updated flight information and confirm your reservations 24 to 48 hours in advance.
For additional information, please visit the Sunport’s Web site at www.abqsunport.com
or call (505) 244-7700. For more travel tips and a complete list of items that are prohibited beyond the security checkpoint, please visit the TSA’s Web site at www.tsa.gov.